Research infrastructurePhoto: Manuel Gutjahr
ATB develops energy-efficient and product-friendly drying processes for agricultural products, from basic research to industrial implementation. For experimental research into the underlying physical processes, various semi-technical test facilities and laboratory analysis equipment are available in the drying technology centre and the drying laboratory connected to it.
Drying technical laboratory
- Thin-film dryers for basic experimental research on the drying behaviour of different products
- Novel vertical dryers of different designs for continuous grain drying as a modular system for particle flow, through-flow and drying tests
- Heat pump dryer for the energy-efficient drying of medicinal and aromatic plants designed as a prototype for mobile testing. The batch dryer is coupled with a multifunctional heat pump unit with which different operating modes can be investigated.
- Test technology for residence time measurements and for analysing the flow of stationary and moving bulk solids (laser light section method, tracer gas analysis)
In the drying laboratory, product-specific tests are carried out on sorption and drying behaviour as well as determining mechanical and thermal material properties.
- Water vapour sorption system for investigating the sorption behaviour of drying goods and determining it in terms of sorption isotherms
- Thermogravimetric analysis to characterise the drying kinetics of very small samples on lab scale
- Magnetic resonance spectrometer (NMR spectrometer) for non-destructive measurement and analysis of particle moisture distributions in drying processes