- Innovative and alternative sources of protein
- Industrial and large scale rearing of Hermetia illucens
- Insects for food and feed
- Innovative organic waste managment technologies
- Circular based bioeconomy
- Physiological Entomology
Scientific Communication / Popular Science:
- Think Aloud GFFA 2021 Science Slam
- Use of black soldier fly (Hermetia illucens) in bioconversion and feed production - Dr. Marwa Shumo
- Marwa Shumo. 2018. Edible Bugs - The New Beef?
- Podcast: #28 “Lady of the Flies” Marwa Shumo/Black Soldier Fly Expert
- Podcast: #36 “Black Soldier Fly Expert Panel Discussion”
- International Master of Environmental Studies - Interview with Marwa Shumo
- The nutritive value of black soldier fly larvae reared on common organic waste streams in Kenya M Shumo, IM Osuga, FM Khamis, CM Tanga, KKM Fiaboe, ... Scientific reports 9 (1), 1-13
- Survival of marine heterotrophic flagellates isolated from the surface and the deep sea at high hydrostatic pressure: Literature review and own experiments S Živaljić, A Schoenle, F Nitsche, M Hohlfeld, J Piechocki, F Reif, ... Deep Sea Research Part II: Topical Studies in Oceanography 148, 251-259
- Influence of temperature on selected life-history traits of black soldier fly (Hermetia illucens) reared on two common urban organic waste streams in Kenya M Shumo, FM Khamis, CM Tanga, KKM Fiaboe, S Subramanian, S Ekesi, ... Animals 9 (3), 79
- Use of Black Soldier Fly (Hermetia illucens) in bioconversion and feed production MAHIH Shumo Universitäts-und Landesbibliothek Bonn
- Shumo, M.. 2016. Black Soldier Fly: A Bio Tool for Converting Food Waste into Livestock Feed. Solutions, 7 (4) : 36-39 .
- Marwa Shumo. 2018. Edible Bugs - The New Beef?. Further Information
Since February 2021 Postdoctoral Researcher at the Department of Horticultural Engineering, Leibniz Institute for Agricultural Engineering and Bioeconomy (ATB).
Since October 2020
January 2020 – December 2020 Research and Development Scientist, Insect Technology Center (ITC), Hermetia Baruth GmbH/Katz Biotech AG.
April 2014 – November 2019
- A working member of the research project EntoNUTRI: Development and implementation of insect based products to enhance food and nutritional security in sub-Saharan Africa.
- A working member of the research project INSFEED: Insect feed for poultry and fish production in sub Saharan Africa.
July 2015 – March 2017 Visiting Scientist at the Plant Health Unit, International Center of Insect Physiology and Ecology (icipe), Nairobi.
July 2014 – September 2014 Casual/Field WASH consultant, American Refugee Committee, Darfur.
January 2012 – January 2014 Postgraduate Researcher at the Department of Ecology and limnology , Institute of Zoology, University of Cologne:
- A working member of the research group of Prof. Hartmut Arndt.
- Research and lab practice in the optimization of sewage water microbial reduction using protists and biofilms as well as studying the ecology and phylogeny of pressure and temperature tolerant microbial eukaryotes.
Ph.D., Agricultural Sciences, Faculty of Agricultural Sciences, Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms-Universität Bonn, 2020
- Concentrations: Biotechnology, Entomology, Organic Waste Management, Nutrition & Food Security
- Dissertation: Use of Black Soldier Fly (Hermetia illucens) in Bioconversion and Livestock Feed Production
- Grade: Magna cum laude / 1,3
- Dissertation Advisors: Prof. Dr. Christian Borgemeister, Prof. Dr. Arnold van Huis
International Doctorate in Development Studies, Bonn International Graduate School for Development Research (BIGS-DR), Center for Development Research (ZEF), Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms-Universität Bonn
M.Sc. Environmental Sciences, Universität zu Köln, 2012
- Concentrations: Biotechnology, Ecology, Climate Change & Protists
- Thesis: Influence of hydrostatic pressure on deep-sea heterotrophic flagellates
- Grade: Magna cum laude / 1,3
- Thesis Advisor: Prof. Dr. Hartmut Arndt
B.Sc. Biotechnology/Environmental Sciences (Outstanding Performance), University of Nizwa, 2009
April 2017 – April 2019 : EntoNURTI Doctoral Fellowship awarded by the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) via ZEF, University of Bonn.
April 2015 - March 2017: INSFEED Doctoral Fellowship awarded by International Development Research Centre (IDRC) and Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research (ACIAR) via icipe.
June 2013 - January 2014 : Postgraduate Research Scholarship awarded by German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) Scholarship via the University of Cologne.
October 2009 - January 2012: Albertus Magnus Scholarship ,The elite University of Cologne founder’s scholarship awarded to a distinguished International Master student based on the recommendation of the master program coordinators and the selection of the scholarship committee. The Scholarship program was funded by the Ministry of Innovation, Science and Research of the German State of North Rhine-Westphalia for talented young people from the emerging and developing world.
Honors and Awards
- icipe Graduation Award 2020
- The Council of Lindau Nobel Laureate Meetings Young Scientist 2020
- ZEF Scolarship to participate in the 2019 annual ZEF course and excursion to Japan on “Resilience of Ecological and Social Systems” at Yayoi campus of the University of Tokyo as well as in Yui fishing port in Shizuoka prefecture, Japan.
- Speakers Award for presenting an oral presentation titled: “Development and implementation of insect-based feed meal to enhance food and nutritional security” in the Green and Social Entrepreneurship Summer School 2018 in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa.
- Green and Social Entrepreneurship Summer School 2018 Volkswagen Foundation Scholarship to participate in the Green and Social Entrepreneurship Summer School 2018 in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa.
- Agrinatura Tropentag 2018 Scholarship to participate in the Tropentag 2018 in Ghent, Belgium.
- AbbVie Scholarship to participate in the Berlin Falling Walls Lab Finale 2016 & the Berlin Falling Walls Conference for breakthroughs in Science and Technology in Berlin, Germany.
- Falling Walls Lab Scholar and Finalist 2016, selected by the Falling Walls Foundation as one of the 100 young bright minds of the year 2016.
- DAAD Scholarship via SLE, Humboldt-University of Berlin to participate in the in the International DAAD Alumni Workshop: Tropical Diversity, ecology and land use - Harmonizing Human Needs and Nature (17th -21st February 2016, Berlin) and the European Conference of Tropical Ecology (23rd -26th February 2016, Gottingen).
- DAAD Scholarship via the University of Potsdam to participate in Potsdam Summer School of International Nutrition: Future Food (13th -19th October 2015, Potsdam) and 12th European Nutrition Conference FENS 2015 (20th -23rd October 2015, Berlin).