Based on the results of an external evaluation the "Wissenschaftsrat" recommends to continue research on agricultural engineering in Bornim.
As a consequence of the political changes, a restructuring in the research institutions of the GDR is carried out, measures that also strike the institutes in Bornim. The "Research Centre for Mechanization in Agriculture" is dissolved. On 1st of September 1990 the new "Max-Eyth-Institute for Engineering in Agriculture and Environment" is established - based on a fundamentally new concept of research. The focus now lies on environmentally sound and animal-friendly livestock production as well as in assurance of quality of agricultural products.
The former director of the Institute for Agricultural Engineering, Prof. Dr. Sylvester Rosegger, is rehabilitated to full extend. All deprived academic titles and honours are handed back to him.
Prof. Dr. sc. Dieter Priebe is appointed head of the Section Bornim.
Since the construction of scientific tools and instruments in industry was underdeveloped and imports became less and less affordable, the institute is in charge of realizing the central scientific toolbuilding for all institutes belonging to the Academy for Agricultural Sciences. In the following years several instruments were developed in Bornim and produced in small numbers. Examples are measurement devices for humidity in grain and for the density in ensilages, penetrometer for fruit and vegetable, and an artificial fruit to measure mechanical impacts in the postharvest chain.
Together with other institutes in the field of agricultural engineering, the institute is aggregated to form the new "Research Centre for Mechanization in Agriculture". Registered office is Schlieben (District Cottbus). The research institutes in Bornim now only have the status of being sections, reponsible for the research on mechanization of facilities and equipment in plant and animal production.
Ober-Ing. O. Bostelmann is appointed director of the institute.
The department "Central Testing" is hived off and transformed to the new "Centre for testing agricultural machinery" (ZPL). For the new centre a modern building is constructed in Bornim, nowadays in use by TÜV Berlin-Brandenburg.
The department "Tractor Engineering" is separated from the institute and as research unit with seat in Bornim assigned to the Tractor Production Schönebeck.
Heinz Kuhrig becomes Minister for Agriculture and Forestry. In the upcoming years the persons to fill the position of the institute's director are frequently changed - mainly due to political reasons.
In the former orchard of Bornim estate a complex of buildings for the research work on pesticide spraying machines is erected: among others, a 23 m tall spraying tower, a 50 m long wind channel, a machine shop as well as a test facility lab.
The department Engineering in Forestry is assigned to the Institute for Forest Sciences Eberswalde.
A re-organisation of the Institute for Agricultural Engineering is undertaken: the departments of Isotope Application, of Mechanization in Animal Husbandry and of Mechanization in Plant Production are newly established, whereas the department Farm Management Technology is dissolved. A central test department is in charge of coordinating the testing tasks. Provisional Director is Ober-Ing. M. Koswig. In 1962, the position is filled by Dipl.-Landw. Heinz Kuhrig.
During the past years Prof. Dr. Sylvester Rosegger repeatedly was in the focus of state police because of his critrical oppinion about the SED-politics. His protest against the construction of the "Wall" and his close cooperation with research institutions in West-Germany and abroad is taken as inducement by the political elite to remove the awkward critic from the lead of the institute.
From the explanatory statement: '[...] by using the highway English Engineers were e.g. brought illegaly to the institute, where under his protection they were allowed to campaign with propaganda speeches and could get an insight of the activities going on at the institute. [...]' (from a letter of the State Secretary for Universities and Technical Schools, Dr. W. Girnus, adressing the Rektor of the Humboldt-Universität Berlin - Archive of the Humboldt-University).
Prof. Rosegger also is dismissed from professorship at Humboldt-University, he is deprived of his academic title and all mentions and awards. Prof. Rosegger flees 1964 from GDR and later is head of the Research Institute for Mechanization at Bundesforschungsanstalt für Landwirtschaft in Braunschweig.
The experimental station for engineering in forestry Menz (Neuruppin) is integrated into the Institute for Agricultural Engineering.
The second construction phase is terminated: Central buildings as well as the related infrastructure are complete. In the following years several supplementing buildings for experimental and research purposes are constructed. At the same time the existing housing complex for staff members is expanded.
In June, the first construction phase is brought to an end: the main building with the central administration, the assembly hall, and the central workshop can be completed.
Prof. Rosegger and colleagues begin with generating and realizing a general development plan for the reconstruction and extension of the existing buildings. Construction works are started in the same year.
Beginning of 1953, Ing. M. Koswig is assigned the provisional lead of the institute, until on December 1 the base of the Institute for Agricultural Engineering (IfL) is officially moved from Berlin to Bornim. Prof. Dr. Sylvester Rosegger is appointed the first regular director. He starts a comprehensive re-organisation of the institute, which is organised in eight departments: technical equipment and installation, research in agricultural machinery, testing of agricultural machinery, tractor engineering, engineering in horticure, engineering in forestry, measurement technique, and documentation. Affiliated to the institute is an experimental farm of 330 ha arable area.
In parallel, research activities a. o. on harvesting grain crops, potato and forage are initiated.
The Soviet Army assigns the experimental estate Bornim to the German Academy of Agricultural Sciences. The Institute for Agricultural Engineering (IfL) is in charge of the experimantal estate. Preparations to restart the research activities are initiated. The focus of the first engineering tasks lies on testing new agriculural machinery and tractors.
On 1st of January, the German Academy of Agricultural Sciences Berlin (DAL) is founded. Foundation of the Institute for Agricultural Engineering (IfL) follows on September 1, 1951. Dipl.-Ing. G. Albinus is appointed provisional head. The institute comprises departments for agricultural machinery, power engine technoloy, and farm management technology, which at first are established in Berlin. As external units the departments for engineering in forestry (Menz-Neuroofen) and engineering in horticulture (Quedlinburg-Ditfurt) are assigned to the institute.
The Red Army occupies Bornim experimental estate on April 26 1945 which then serves as supply farm for the troups. Caused by the continuing war events and gross carelessness of the residents several severe fires occure. As consequence most of the historic buildings are destroyed: among them the administration building, constructed by Persius 1844, the apprentice dormitory, as well as a 5-family-house. The buildings are not being reconstructed.
... before 1945