The production of biochar from digestate biogas production is the focus of the research group APECS (Anaerobic Pathways to Renewable Energies and Carbon Sinks).
APECS developes a powerful hybrid method in which methods of CO2 neutral energy production and environmentally sound recovery incurred residues are combined into biochar. The biochar as a soil conditioner to increase the sorption capacity of the soil for nutrients and water, remove CO2 from the atmosphere and establish long-term according to a new carbon sink in agriculture.
• Comparison of different methods for carbonization of the digestate (pyrolysis and hydrothermal carbonization)
• Characterization of different biochars regarding stability of carbon compounds and adsorption
• Optimization of biochar properties
• Effects of biochar as a soil additive
• Review of the process in terms of function, performance, cost and environmental impact
Video: Biochar production from biogenic residues for the application as soil additive (youtube video in German)